What's New These Days....

What is L.A. to you?

To me, she is great and twisted; showing me horrors that I long after while alluding a life of the walking dead...

I am glad to report, I severed some of the tentacles that had hold of me since I left.
.That took way too long.



5.18.2011

Woman Gets Kicked off a Train for Being Annoying

Alluding the disturbing noise created by the hustle and bustle of an 'advanced' society is near impossible. If we even approached deafening the screech of our global nails down the universe's chalkboard, humans might begin to fathom the bliss of the universe.

Hopefully, you are one of the fortunate beings to know what the experience of 'no sound' or rather, 'the absence of sound' feels like. In case your ears have not yet experienced this eternal hum, it can be approximated or summed up, in one tidy little syllable: ohm.

So, for initiating a program which designates certain cars of the train as 'quiet cars', where riders can actually seek their ohm during a morning commute or en route to visit Aunt Sally, AND, for policing said cars to make sure that passengers riding within actually - Be Quiet - I must tip my hat to Amtrak.

[ Empower those who dare to deafen the loudspeaker of today's -everyday- sounds. ]

The most shocking part of the Traveling Disturbance story, is that the rail company went so far as to enforce the rule of 'no loud-talking cell phone users allowed' and kicked the offensive, loud-speaking passenger off the train. This too, is commendable; I cheer the principle in action. My only question about the whole event is,
Why didn't someone kick her off the train her sooner?

By the accounts in the article, the woman traveled from Oakland, California  to Salem, Oregon before being ejected from the passenger mover. Now, I didn't do the math, but, according to the written piece, that's a 16 hour train ride! And, according to witnesses, the woman was on her phone, talking loudly the entire ride.

THE ENTIRE 16 HOUR RIDE!

I'm just curious who she was talking to.... Hopefully she placed multiple calls and spoke with more than just one person. Can you imagine someone talking to you on the phone for that long? Kinda reminds of my high school days and long distance relationships; at least they don't charge long distance phone rates anymore.




Click below for an ear-full about the event, in Liz Goodwin's article: 

Loud cell-phone talker removed from quiet car by police